Real Estate Law
At Frisoli Associates, P.C., we are knowledgeable about all real estate matters including, but not limited to, zoning and condominium conversions, financing of real estate conveyances, dispute resolution over property issues, landlord/tenant contractual relationships, and many more.
The Massachusetts Security Deposit Law
The Massachusetts residential security deposit law is extremely favorable to tenants. The law sets forth in great detail the numerous technical requirements and procedures which a landlord must follow when accepting, maintaining, and returning security deposits from residential tenants. Even innocent violations by landlords who are acting in good faith can result in automatic imposition of damages amounting to three times the security deposit, plus the tenant’s costs and attorney’s fees.
Our lawyers are experienced in representing both landlords and tenants in cases involving potential violations of the residential security deposit law. Some security deposit cases we have won are as follows:
- 2008 – obtained a lump sum settlement of $9000 after filing suit for a tenant against a landlord who wrongfully failed to return a security deposit of approximately $2000.
- 2008 – secured a judgment after a trial on the merits in the amount of approximately $27,000 (including three times the security deposit, plus court costs and attorney’s fees) against a landlord because of the landlord’s wrongful withholding and deduction of expenses from the tenant’s $3500 security deposit.
Residential tenants should be aware of their rights under the security deposit law; they may benefit from aggressively pursuing claims for security deposit law violations.
Landlords should avoid liability and punitive damages for innocent violations of the security deposit law by seeking competent advice from attorneys experienced in landlord-tenant law.
When you are engaged in a real estate dispute, consulting with an attorney will help you take the most effective action to favorably resolve the issue. At Frisoli Associates, PC, we help clients resolve commercial and residential real estate disputes with our comprehensive legal knowledge and impressive negotiation skills. Some of the legal issues we have assisted clients with include:
- Boundary and ownership disputes
- Easements and land use restrictions/violations
- Failure to disclose and fraudulent transfers
- Landlord/tenant lease disputes
- Partition actions and forced buyouts
- Title defects and insurance
When we represent clients engaged in real estate litigation, we focus on their goals. We listen to our clients’ needs, ask questions, and respond with articulate legal advice and forceful representation in and out of the courtroom. Sometimes client goals call for aggressive litigation, and when that is the case, we never hesitate to go to court. Other times, a client might need to avoid the cost and hassle of litigation.
At Frisoli Associates, P.C., we have been helping our clients create solutions for more than 30 years. We are experienced real estate litigators who draw on extensive legal action to help get favorable results to meet your goals. To consult with us about your real estate dispute, call our law office at 617-494-0200 to schedule an appointment.